I recently had a friend of mine come to me asking how to get into hacking and this side of technology. His background was very varied so it was difficult to outline the core fundamentals that a person would need to get into this sector. This post will try to clear up and explain the resources and information required of you to get a good footing on my other post: Getting Started in Infosec.
Before diving into the super technical bits and bobs, it is important for anyone who is wanting to learn the ropes to understand it's all on you. It is up to you to self-learn/self-teach, if you lack the motivation to learn you're not going to get far in the security sector.
Now that, the mini learning rant is out of the way, let me lay the learning baseline fundamentals you should start to look at.
This was initially going to be all in one post however I have split it up, the list below shows the schedule for topics I'll be writing about.
Table of Contents
- Basic Networking
- Operating Systems - Unix
- How important a Beautiful Report is
- Important to Have some form of people skills
- Web Application Testing - A guide series on it's own
- Operating Systems - Windows
- Basic virtualization - What it is, how it works and how to use it
- Basic programming knowledge - understanding
- Infrastructure - Networking & The way things work
- Other things Andy thinks you should know in life
Subscribe to ZeroSec - Adventures In Information Security
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox